[cups.development] [RFE] STR #2428: CUPS needs a way to easilyquery policy permissions

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Jul 6 23:35:21 PDT 2007

Chris Rivera wrote:
> I second everything Johannes mentions.  We really need a way to query
> the policy layer and an IPP extension is the simplest and most
> consistent way of doing this.  Parsing cupsd.conf is a hack.  Why are
> you against adding an IPP extension?  You already have several.

Because that kind of extension exposes CUPS to other kinds of
security attacks (dictionary attacks for specific operations and
users) as well as limiting the user interface based on an flawed
notion of what the user can and can't do.

We'll entertain new extensions for novel or just plain useful stuff
in CUPS, but adding a new extension that makes CUPS less secure and
limits the user experience doesn't qualify.