[cups.development] [RFE] STR #1873: logging per printer rather than dumping into single file

Kurt Pfeifle kurt.pfeifle at infotec.com
Thu Jul 12 13:02:57 PDT 2007

I'd like to see that too.

Maybe similar to what Samba does. It sports a very generic way to create
different logfiles by adding some placeholder variables to the log file
name definitio:

  *  %U -- session user name
  *  %m -- netbios name of client machine
  *  etc.pp.

Oh, and Apache has a similar thing, I believe. For CUPS, interesting
placeholder extensions are these, especially if you think about large
installations:

  -- Job ID
  -- Universally Uniq Job ID
  -- backend names
  -- User names
  -- CUPS client hostnames
  -- Current Date
  -- Current Hour
  -- ...

<Daydream who="a professional de-bugger">

  ...and if we could change the LogLevel on the fly, by sending a
  command to the running cupsd, that would be really great. (Similar as
  Samba's "smbcontrol smbd debug level 5" causes smbd to switch to level
  5 of logging.

  ...and also have a separate log for filters and other subsystems, a la
     "FilterLog /var/log/cups/filter_log"            # all filters
     "FilterLog /var/log/cups/filter_log.my_filter"  # log for a filter
called 'my_filter'
     "BackendLog /var/log/cups/backend_log"
     "BackendLog /var/log/cups/backend_log.ipp"      # log for a backend
called 'ipp'
  to collect all log messages from specific filters (depending on the
  LogLevel of course, which could be "FilterLogLevel", "BackendLogLevel").

</Dreaming>

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1873
Version:  -feature