'default' OpPolicy shipped with CUPS makes use of non-existing/non-supported operations

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Wed Jul 18 08:40:05 PDT 2007

Hurray!, loooong hours of searching why a certain thing didn't work came
to an end....

  The 'default' OpPolicy shipped by CUPS enumerates 2 non-existing
  operations, "CUPS-Add-Printer" and "CUPS-Add-Class". These should
  instead be named "CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer" + "CUPS-Add-Modify-Class".

Details:
========

When trying to make a large, enterprise-wide CUPS installation work
without flaws that is heavily relying on different OpPolicies for
different printers, we found an operation name in the error_log file
called "CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer".

Upon checking, I found that this operation indeed appears in the CUPS
documentation:

  http://localhost:631/help/ref-cupsd-conf.html?TOPIC=References&QUERY=#LimitIPP),

but it does not show up in the default cupsd.conf template as provi-
ded by clicking on "Use Default Configuration File" (on page
http://localhost:631/admin?op=config-server).

Here is the extract (with my emphasise and my line breaks inserted
for readability):

<Policy default>
  [....]
  # All administration operations require an *adminstrator* to authenticate...
  <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Set-Printer-Attributes Enable-Printer \
         Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs \
         Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer \
         Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job \
         Schedule-Job-After *CUPS-Add-Printer* CUPS-Delete-Printer \
         *CUPS-Add-Class* CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs \
         CUPS-Set-Default>
    AuthType Basic
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  [....]
</Policy>

Please do also note there is a little typo in "adminstrator".

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS