HP Internet Printer Connection Software doesn't work with cups

Alexander Elbs alex at segv.de
Sun Jul 22 04:21:30 PDT 2007

> Alexander Elbs wrote:
> > The HP printing tool sends as printer URI this to the cups server:
> >
> > hostname/printers/some_printer
> >
> > it leaves out http:// or ipp://
> > with this patch (to 1.2.7) it works for us:

You are right: it is the fault of that HP tool.
However the latest version of this tool is from 2001, so it seems to be abandoned.

That tool has more bugs, e.g. in cups 1.1.x chunked encoding had to be disabled (or enabled?) to make them talk to each other :/

We are using this tool, because printers in windows can be renamed. This is not possible (afaik) with the standard IPP feature of windows.
And we need the renaming feature to make some ancient DOS programs work.

Regards,
Alexander Elbs