Preview Print Jobs (get job from server?)

Ken Tanzer ktanzer at desc.org
Fri Mar 23 15:23:04 PDT 2007

> - For each printer, set up a "clone" printer which differs from the original only
>    in the following respects:
>    -- use a wrapper script for e.g. gv as backend,

That's an interesting suggestion.  If I'm understanding this right, each print job that came in would spawn its own gv, and then the operator could either print from gv, or just close, which would discard the job?

If that's the case, that might work for us.  One downside is that we would probably need to invoke gv hardcoded to a particular $DISPLAY, so you couldn't just access this from any CUPS client.  (Or perhaps you've got another good idea about that!)

I'd still be curious to know about some direct export option.  Forgive my CUPS-ignorance, but do print jobs sit in the queue as a Postscript file, and if so are there technical barriers to feeding a copy of it out to a client?  If it is feasible, I'm assuming this would involve some extremely non-standard extension to the CUPS API...

Thanks!

Ken