Preview Print Jobs (get job from server?)

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Mar 23 18:06:30 PDT 2007

Ken Tanzer wrote:
> Hi.  We're running a computer lab where various workstations send
> their print jobs to a FC6 machine running a CUPS server.  CUPS is set
> to hold the jobs until they are manually released.  We want a way to
> be able to preview the jobs before they are printed.
>
> Is there currently any way to do so?  It doesn't seem like there is.
> If not, can anyone provide a sense of how much work would be
> involved, and/or any general ideas or pointers for how to go about
> doing so?  (I'm guessing you would need a way for a CUPS client to
> ask a server to send a copy of a particular job.)

There is currently no way to do this with the standard CUPS software,
but there is a feature request (STR #118) that would add some of what
is needed - it has not been assigned for implementation in any CUPS
release yet as there are a LARGE number of security and
implementation issues to resolve.

You *could* develop a CGI program that reads the spool files for a
job and produces a preview image/PDF file.  This could then be
linked from the jobs.tmpl file to provide the preview functionality
you want.  However, keep in mind that you would have to handle any
security/access control yourself...