[cups.development] [RFE] STR #2392: Modify "cancel" such that it will require confirmation when used only with "-a" option.

angelb angelb at bugarin.us
Mon May 21 06:44:08 PDT 2007

I noticed "cancel -a" removes all jobs for ALL printer queues at brute
force without regards to sex, color, origin, title, salary, etc.

Without additional control; ie, an argument or a confirmation, this
command is rather dangerous and just waiting for the unsuspecting
victim to come by.

How easy it is to just type "cancel -a", forgetting the que name, and
hit the ENTER key.

The following command would probably suffice if cancelling all jobs
from all printer queue is truly desired:

cupsclient# cancel -a ALL

If not, a confirmation should be displayed:

cupsclient# cancel -a
You're about to lose your job, are you sure?[y/n] n

Where n, would be the default and have the admin/user makes the
final decision.

While I don't see any reason, at the moment except for a sabotage :),
to delete all production jobs, this option to remove all jobs from ALL
printer queues is, IMHO, not necessary.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2392
Version:  -feature