[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #2386: mime.types fix for long PJL headers

Kurt Pfeifle kurt.pfeifle at infotec.com
Fri May 25 12:57:41 PDT 2007

> Setting one option unsets the other.  Here is the patch.

I was about to fill in a similar thing in an STR, when I discovered this
report. (But to me it does not look as clean-cut as "setting one option
unsets the other"). Since I've already wrote up the thingie in my hotel
room last night, I'll just copy it here, because I think it provides
additional information:

------------- snip ------------------------------------------------------

The web interface configuration of "Basic Server Settings" does not work
reliably for CUPS 1.2.11. (I'm using openSUSE-made packages for 10.2,
provided by
http://software.opensuse.org/download/Printing/openSUSE_10.2/).

I started playing with the web interface options on the
localhost:631/admin page. I clicked "Edit Configuration File", then "Use
Default Configuration File" and "Save Changes". (Which probably means that
I now have the original CUPS-provided file, unless SUSE packagers have
fiddled with that [which I think is unlikely]).

It comes back with these settings in the web interface:

  [x] Show printers shared by other systems
  [ ] Share published printers connected to this system
  [ ] Allow remote administration
  [ ] Allow users to cancel any job (not just their own)
  [ ] Save debugging information for troubleshooting

(which I will name "settings=10000" for brevity from now on). If change
these settings to these:

  [x] Show printers shared by other systems
  [x] Share published printers connected to this system
  [x] Allow remote administration
  [ ] Allow users to cancel any job (not just their own)
  [x] Save debugging information for troubleshooting

(which I will name "settings=11101") after the cupsd restart, they return
like this:

  [ ] Show printers shared by other systems
  [x] Share published printers connected to this system
  [x] Allow remote administration
  [ ] Allow users to cancel any job (not just their own)
  [x] Save debugging information for troubleshooting

("settings=01101"). Since this is obviously not what I asked for, I tested
a few more variants to see if more things go wrong. Summary Table of some
results :

   "INPUT"  --> "OUTPUT"
   -------------------------

    11101   -->  01101 (flaw)     change in 1st from 1 to 0

    10101   -->  10001 (flaw)     change in 3rd from 1 to 0

(a) 11001   -->  01101 (flaw)     change in 1st from 1 to 0, and in 3rd
from 0 to 1
(b) 11001   -->  01001 (flaw)     change in 1st from 1 to 0  # another
result sometimes
(c) 11001   -->  10001 (flaw)     change in 2nd from 1 to 0  # another
result sometimes

    00101   -->  10001 (flaw)     change in 1st from 0 to 1, and in 3rd
from 1 to 0

(a) 11101   -->  10101 (flaw)     change in 2nd from 1 to 0
(b) 11101   -->  01101 (flaw)     change in 1st from 1 to 0  # another
result sometimes

(a) 10001   -->  00001 (flaw)     change in 1st from 1 to 0  # another
result sometimes
(a) 10001   -->  10001 (flawless)

    01101   -->  01101 (flawless)

    00001   -->  00001 (flawless)

    00010   -->  00010 (flawless)

    00100   -->  00010 (flawless)

---------------------

Another thing I noticed in the course of playing with the web interface:
it changed a part of the <Policy default> section. At one time it went
from this representation:

  <Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit All>
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

to this representation:

  <Limit CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit All>
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit Cancel-Job>
    Order deny,allow
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
  </Limit>

which is basically the same (so no bug).... but isn't it "dangerous" to
try and re-write the policy settings, if not even the basic stuff works
reliably?

I could post my cupsd.conf file, but since you can reproduce this bug by
using the default one provided by the web interface, this shouldn't be
necessary.

So, the "additional information" from my experiments is that there may be
conditions where the 3rd checkbox ("Allow remote administration") can
unintentionally/automatically change from "on" to "off" (or the reverse
way) as well.

I'm sorry, I can't test the patch right now since I do not have an
environment that allows me to compile stuff.