[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #2586: printjobs remain unprocessed due to false information in printers.conf

Patricia Jung pj at opensourcepress.de
Thu Nov 8 02:57:01 PST 2007

Am Mittwoch, 7. November 2007 18:44 schrieb Michael Sweet:
> [STR Closed w/o Resolution]
>
> The state is persistent, and the FHS does not provide another directory for
> persistent configuration or state information we can use. /var/cache can be
> blown away, /var/run is for transient information, /var/spool is for
> spooled data, and /var/lib is for state data that should not be edited by
> the user (and cupsd.conf and the other CUPS configuration files are
> user-editable).
Well, it's a question of what's worse, isn't it? Personally I'd
prefer /var/spool even if the relevant data won't fit the description
exactly. Other projects do this as well, and this solution would be more
satisfying from an admin's point of view, even if is isn't perfect.

Anyway:
> The message is cleared automatically the next time you print. Until then,
> the error is technically still valid for the queue. If the problem is not
> corrected, the same error will be shown...
Unfortunately the message from time to time isn't cleared automatically: In
the case I'm describing the only workaround really is to edit printers.conf
by hand. New print jobs assigned by root as well as by ordinary users will
add to the length of the printing queue, but not be printed -- as the printer
is  reported as not responding.

Although this situation appears say once or twice a month I haven't been able
to figure out a pattern. I suspect some coincidence with the printer going
offline or in sleep modus, but unfortunately I have no strong evidence to
support this suspicion. All I can say is that whenever my users complain
about not being able to print, this is exactly what happens.

As a workaround I'd suggest to clear and poll these status messages when
restarting cupsd.

Thanks for responding so quickly!

Best

	Patricia