[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #2587: cupsd will no longer seems toaccept requests from OLD cups clients

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Nov 12 21:29:06 PST 2007

Jon Peatfield wrote:
> This is only a problem with the display of job meta-data (e.g. titles)
> etc isn't it?  Or is there a bigger issue/problem that I'm missing?

It is all string data - job name, username, document name, options,
etc.  Aside from the inconvenience of incorrect banners and page
labels, you end up with bad UTF-8 data which leads to random failures
in any consumer of the job data.

> How should one set the locale to use UTF-8 - for older cups clients?

"man locale"

On most systems, doing:

     LC_CTYPE=en_GB.UTF8

should do the trick.