[cups.development] SpliX and contrast

Aurélien Croc aurelien at ap2c.com
Wed Nov 14 05:39:21 PST 2007

Le Friday 19 October 2007 15:56:02 Helge Blischke, vous avez écrit :
> Aurélien Croc wrote:
> > I still sent a such mail in the past but i didn't get any answers.
> >
> > Some splix users told me they had a high contrast in the printed  sheets
> > (in particular when they print their photos).
> > Since rastertospl2 is just a compression algorithm which takes a CMYK
> > bitmap and compress it with a loseless algorithm, i think the problem
> > comes from the PS to CMYK bitmap conversion (which seems to be done  by
> > ghostscript).
> > So my question is: how can we adjust that contrast which is too high
> > for a better contrast?
> >
> > Till answered to me that it was the ghostscript. So i contact them  but
> > they didn't "understood" that rastertospl2 doesn't interact  directly
> > with ghostscript but via the ps2raster... They wanted i give  to them
> > the exact command line which is used and try different  parameters..
> >
> > Last but not least, i think splix is not the only filter which do  that
> > sort of job so if i have that trouble, maybe that trouble is a  common
> > trouble and you have answers?
> >
> > Regards,
> >

> > --
> > M. Aurélien Croc
> > Projet AP²C - http://www.ap2c.org
> > Clef Publique : http://www.ap2c.org/aurelien.gpg
>
> As far as Ghostscript is concerned in this environment, I'd suggest
> to upgrade to Ghostscript 8.60, which has the ESP-GS branch merged in
> and - AFAIK - is able to deal with color profiles.
>
> Helge

I have two questions. First, Samsung provides two files per resolution and per
printer: cms and cms2. With one of their software (pscms), the content of the
first file is put at the beginning of a Postscript and the content of the
second file is put at the beginning of each page in the postscript.
This gives quite good results while printing the document. Unfortunatly, i
don't think that the ColorICCProfile option recognize these sort of files?

My second question is about monochrome printers. Samsung doesn't provides
these files and contrast is definitly too dark. I tried to play with
cupsprofile but since the printer is monochrome, results are ugly (colors are
too white or too dark) so i don't know how can i adujst colors to get a
better (less contrasted) result.

What can i do?

Regards,