[cups.development] Pseudo duplex mode for several printers

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 13:37:40 PDT 2007

Probably it is more reliable to let the rastertospl2 driver do this work
(you probably thought in delegating it to pstops).

Page reordering, scaling, and so on is currently done by the pstops
filter. Unfortunately PostScript is not designed well enough to force
every Postscript file to have easily distinguishable pages. Later the
DSC comments were defined to have the possibility to make a
well-structured Postscript where one really can distinguish the pages,
but many applications produce a PostScript which is not DSC-conforming.

To solve this problem in the future, PostScript will be replaced by PDF
as standard print job format (decided on the Printing Summit in April
2006 in Atlanta). In PDF files you can always separate the pages.

So for now it is better to go to a later step of the filter chain, where
the data is already in the CUPS raster format or even in the printer's
native format. Here it is very well defined where one page ends and the
next one starts, only disadvantage is that the data chunks representing
the pages are much bigger than in the PostScript stage, so more disk
space for temporary files is needed for the reordering. This would mean
that you reorder the pages in rastertospl2. Also rotating pages by 180
degrees is probably more reliable with bitmaps. You could stream the
incoming data into two temporary files, one with the even and one with
the odd pages, after that you stream out one file and then the other.

    Till