[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #2500: Build errors on CentOS4

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Sep 5 09:44:49 PDT 2007

JS wrote:
> Michael Sweet wrote:
>> [STR Closed w/o Resolution]
>>
>> General support is not available via the STR form. Please post to the CUPS
>> forums and/or mailing lists for general support.
>>
>> You don't have php-devel installed.
>>
>> Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2500
>> Version: 1.3.0
>> Fix Version: None
>>

> If you add a line like this to the spec file, then it will be
> immediately apparent to anyone that they need php-devel
>
> BuildRequires: php-devel
>
> Note that there can be more than that, one can specify a required level
> or a minimum (or maximum) level of the required software

Thing is, we want to support non-PHP builds with the "standard" RPM
spec file, so BuildRequires is not suitable.

If you read the top of the spec file you'll notice the following:

     # Conditional build options (--with name/--without name):
     #
     #   dbus     - Enable/disable DBUS support (default = enable)
     #   php      - Enable/disable PHP support (default = enable)

Thus, if you don't have php-devel installed and don't want/need PHP
support, then you can just use the "--without php" option with
rpmbuild.  This is mentioned on the download page as well:

     The spec file supports two options, --without php and --without
     dbus, that control whether the PHP and DBUS support is compiled
     into the packages. For example, if you are compiling CUPS 1.2.4
     or earlier on Red Hat Enterprise Linux, you will need to provide
     the --without dbus option since that distribution does not have
     a compatible version of the DBUS libraries available:

         rpmbuild -ta cups-version-source.tar.gz --without dbus

     Similarly, if you don't have the php-devel package installed, use
     the --without php option to omit the PHP support from the
     generated RPMs.

So, this isn't a bug.