[cups.development] Does MAC OS X 10.3 support CUPS 1.2

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Apr 1 09:33:10 PDT 2008

Johannes Meixner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mar 31 08:54 Michael Sweet wrote (shortened):
>> Kai Zhu wrote:
>>> Does MAC OS X 10.3 support CUPS 1.2 ? By default, CUPS 1.1 is
>>> with 10.3, it would be great to upgrade to 1.2 on Mac 10.3,
>> No, the only supported version is the one provided by Apple.  In
>> particular, CUPS 1.2 introduced some changes which prevent the GUIs
>> and some backends supplied with 10.3 (and 10.4) from working.
>
> I thought the 1.2 API is backward compatible to the 1.1 API
> so that I don't understand why it doesn't work with 1.2.
>
> Could you explain it?

There are certain private APIs used in earlier Mac OS X releases
that are not present in CUPS 1.2 and later, the default security
policy is much stricter in 1.2 and higher, and also the cupsd.conf
file changes are not understood by the Mac OS X GUI tools.

We've run into similar problems with GNOME and KDE over the years -
use of private APIs and structures causes problems between releases,
and I've taken steps with each new CUPS release to make it harder to
use those private interfaces from non-CUPS applications (so, for
example, an application that works in CUPS 1.2 has a much higher
likelihood of working with 1.3 and 1.4 since the problematic private
APIs and structures are not exported...)