[cups.development] [RFE] STR #2786: Wine need an Option to check, that a cached Printer list is still up to date

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Sat Apr 5 09:15:47 PDT 2008

[STR Closed w/o Resolution]

I'd be interested to know what version of CUPS you are using, since
cupsGetDests() is generally quite fast in recent CUPS releases.

Regardless, don't use cupsGetDests(), make a CUPS_GET_PRINTERS IPP request
 and get your list of printers using cupsDoRequest() - you can limit the
request to just the printer-name and printer-type attributes and will not
have the overhead of the convenience API call.

Alternately you could use an IPP subscription to track printer changes,
initially getting a list of printers and then caching the printer list,
subscription ID, and last event number received.  You could then just read
printer events on startup to update your cached copy.  I'm not sure this
would be any faster than a straight CUPS_GET_PRINTERS request, however.

In any case, we will not be adding an API to get a checksum or
last-modified date.  Neither will provide the speed up you are looking for
- the checksum will change for any printer list change, as would the date.

Please continue discussion on cups.development.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2786
Version:  -feature
Fix Version: Will Not Fix