orientation-requested regression for pdf files?

Kevin Hamilton kevin.hamilton at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 14:49:49 PDT 2008

I just moved several applications from a server running cups 1.2.4 to a server running cups 1.3.6, and found that my orientation-requested option is being ignored.

The command my application is attempting to run, is:
lpr.cups -Pprintername -o orientation-requested=6 -o Duplex=DuplexTumble filename

Whether I pass orientation-requested=3 or orientation-requested=6, I always get portrait output at the printer, never reverse-portrait which is what I need.

However, it is only ignored when the document to be printed is a pdf file, if the file is an ASCII text document, then it rotates as expected.

Looking through the bug tracker, I think, but am not certain, that it is a regression introduced in STR2348 http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2348.

Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated.