CUPS 1.2.4 strange behavior

Anesth Cat anesth at unixway.org.ua
Thu Apr 24 08:24:31 PDT 2008

Hi,

I'm using CUPS 1.2.4 on CentOS 5.1 Final (as it ships on the CentOS DVD), and CUPS 1.3.5 from ports on FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE on two PC's. My printer is Samsung SCX-4200 with USB interface. As printer-specific part of software I have installed PPD file and 'rastertosamsungspl' filter, both are from the Samsung's Linux driver pack.

CUPS 1.3.5 on FreeBSD works very good. It reports the printer is connected through usb:/dev/ulpt0. CUPS 1.2.4 on CentOS 5.1 Final haven't worked at all. It says, that the filter rastertosamsungspl is failed.

But when I try to run this filter manually, everything is working all right. I just specify the path to PPD file in PPD environment variable and then call rastertosamsungspl with proper argv and '/dev/usb/lp1' as output file. Any PostScript, sent to filter, should be printed o.k. /dev/usb/lp1 has 0660 permissions and  root:lp ownership.

A simple test I've made, shows that when I'm trying to print ever CUPS's test page, cupsd doesn't invoke 'rastertosamsungspl' at all.

But when I'm stopping CUPS instance, invoked at system bootup by the rc.d script and then run new one, simply executing 'sudo cupsd -f &' in   terminal, this problem disappears. Everything is working and I'm able to print.

Would someone tell me, what is the problem?
Should I upgrade CUPS?