[cups.development] PCL - Raw processing

Joe Harnish bigjoe1008 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 12:28:47 PDT 2008

Hello,

I am not sure if this is where to put send this but here it goes.  I
have an application running on a proprietary Unix.  I have setup CUPS
replacing it's local lp so that the printers could be easily managed.
There is a proprietary application running on the Unix system that
prints in PCL.  I am trying to use cups along with cups-pdf to capture
the file as a PDF.  From reading different documents around the
Internet the when cups receives the print job it encapsulates it in
PostScript.  Using the cups-pdf framework I am trying to process the
file through pcl6 (a pcl to pdf ghostscript tool).

The problem that I am running into with this because the print job is
encapsulated in PS it errors out that the file is a PS file instead of
PCL.

The alternate problem (the reason for using pcl6) is that when I
convert the PS to PDF I loose all the formatting that is coming via
pcl.

How can I get the RAW data from the Unix server on my CUPS server so I
can process the native pcl through the interpreter.  The worse part is
the only formatting I really need to come through is Bold, Underline
and Italics.

Other ideas on how to accomplish this would also be appreciated.

Thanks for any help

--Joe Harnish