[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #2812: transcodes file names in argv

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 29 23:22:51 PDT 2008

Hi Michael,

Michael Sweet [2008-04-29 19:56 -0700]:
> This is working exactly as designed/required.  If you use filenames that
> have a different encoding than the locale, you need to redirect from
> stdin, e.g.:

Sure, that's a workaround, but why deliberately break it in the first
place?  I don't think it is *ever* right to transcode a file name in
argv; unlike I alluded in my initial post, the currently set locale
doesn't influence open(), it just takes the bits as they are.

FWIW, I totally agree that non-UTF8 locales should die and never come
back, but different FS encodings will stick around for a loong time
still, I'm afraid..

Martin