2 Side (duplex) Printing HP Deskjet 990cxi/Mac OS 10.5

Victor Lipp victor_lipp at telus.net
Thu Aug 7 10:47:29 PDT 2008

I have had my HP Deskjet 990cxi printer for several years now and have found it to be a great printer which has always allowed me to duplex print (I believe that is what 2 side printing is called) and I have a PowerMac G4 running OS 10.5X.  All was just fine until recently when I downloaded new printer drivers from Apple/HP, then I found that I no longer can duplex print.  The new driver is: CUPS+CUPv5.1.98.2.  I have spoken to HP support and Apple Support to no avail, finally HP told me that Mac OS 10.5 will no longer support duplex printing.  During the course of all my work trying to get duplex printing and with the help of HP support I completely lost the ability to print anything at all!  Somehow, on my own, I was able to print using Gutenprint v5.1.3 and 'am happy to have a printer again, but thoroughly annoyed that I have lost the ability to duplex print on a printer capable of 2 sided printing and one that has done it faithfully, on the same Mac for many years!   I don't know if anyone can help me get this feature back, I am just happy to get this annoyance off my chest!!