Margin issue after converting from ESP print pro to CUPS

David Smith smith107 at llnl.gov
Fri Aug 15 14:26:55 PDT 2008

I converted our print servers from ESP Print Pro v4.5.12 about a month ago to CUPS 1.2.4 and now we are seeing text file margin issues.

On the older environment we could print a text file with 80 characters
in a column with .25 inch left and right margins and it worked.

Now under CUPS 1.2.4, I'm getting only 79 characters.  When I look at the output with a ruler the Print Pro output matches exactly 10 characters per inch from left to right.  On the CUPS listing the
characters start to drift to the right and hence only 79 characters
can be printed. In fact it is almost 2 characters positions off at
the 8 inch mark.

Has anyone seen this type of issue?

The CUPS release I'm using is from the RedHat distribution.

# rpm -qa | grep cups
cups-devel-1.2.4-11.14.el5_1.4
cups-libs-1.2.4-11.14.el5_1.4
cups-1.2.4-11.14.el5_1.4