lpq -P doesn't work at all

Brandon warcraftthreeft at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 26 10:33:09 PDT 2008

Did you guys realize that the lpq -P function that should return the queue for a printer only returns data on one user. Either that or it randomly returns data on only 2 users and only 2 prints.

I had 3 people generate massive traffic to see if the queue actually works and it only showed 2 prints in the queue.

I had the printer in a class and when I did lpstat -o it showed 15 prints for that printer yet doing lpq -P <printername> only showed 2.

Is this like the printer queue in cups or on the actual printer?

(The documentation for this is really vague).