[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #2916: str2831 patch made%%BeginFeature/%%EndFeature stop working

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Wed Aug 27 05:15:33 PDT 2008

Michael Sweet wrote:
> [STR Closed w/o Resolution]
>
> You are using a local printer driver, along with a printer driver on the
> Linux system.  Both get run, so the Linux driver interferes with the Mac
> driver.
>
> Use a raw queue on the Linux system or use CUPS printer sharing with the
> Mac system.
>
> Not a bug.
>
> Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2916
> Version: 1.3.8
> Fix Version: Will Not Fix

I *do* think it is a bug. It is quite common - and legitime - for
applications to insert reature requests/settings into the setup section
of a PS job (between the %%BeginSetup and %%EndSetup comments).

The correct processing would be
(1) just after the %%BeginSetup comment insert whatever has been
     defined as a default in the printer's PPD
(2) Let the %%BeginFeature .. %%EndFeature blocks where they are
     in order not to counteract the intentions of the creating applications
     (whatever they are), and insert the results of the %%IncludeFeature
     requests at this very point
(2) Insert the results of the command line options just before the
     %%EndSetup comment - this is the place to put settings which
     should explicitely override whatever has been set up before.

This is what I needed to hack for every recent version of CUPS
I out to work at our site.

Helge

PS: As for OpenOffice, the versions 2.x (the only ones I have used
that far) all violate page inedpendence in that they specify
global features in the page setup section of the first page.
I have published a filter (oopstops) which repairs just that
(and lets in place page setup stuff on the following pages).
See the links on the CUPS web site.

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung