Enhancement? Relative rotation of pages

Carl G. Ponder CPonder at US.IBM.Com
Mon Dec 1 12:10:09 PST 2008

I have a single-sided printer, and am trying to configure two print
queues for double-sided printing: one that prints the even pages, after
which I move the sheets down to the manual feed, and print the same job
to the queue for the odd pages.

One problem is that the sheets need to be rotated 180 degrees to make
this work. The sheets are already facing the right direction to print on
the back. I'd like to have the first queue automatically rotate the
sheets 180 degrees so the sheets only have to be moved and you don't
have to remember to rotate them.

Note that the form

   -o orientation-requested=6       # Reverse portrait or upside-down
orientation (180 degrees)|

isn't what I want: if the sheets have already been rotated 90 degrees
for landscape orientation, then this will override the 90 degrees, and
the sheets will print out portrait instead of landscape.

The only way I see with the given flags is to define "portrait" versus
"landscape" queues that hardcode all the rotations (180 versus 270),
which is otherwise unnecessary since the tools I print from (Mozilla,
OpenOffice etc.) all have portrait/landscape print options and I don't
have to use kludge-queues for rotation the way I do with double-sided
printing.

What I would really like, is to have a flag that adds an additional 180
degrees to the rotation that's already there. So if it's already
"portrait", it will print with 180 degrees rotation, and if it's already
"landscape", it prints with 270 degrees rotation. Or, alternately, the
orientation flags could be additive rather than overriding each other. I
can't think of any cases where I would actually want my print-queue to
ignore the rotation settings I make when I print.

Thanks,

          Carl Ponder
          CPonder at US.IBM.Com