PDF Printer driver

keens312 keens312 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 4 18:54:15 PST 2008

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at setting up a service for Mac OS X users that will include client software. The client software is made up by two pieces. One, a printer driver that prints a PDF and saves it locally and then executes a app. And the other part is that very app.
>
> So, what I would like to find is someone that can created a driver that does the above mentioned. We will then build the other app ourselves. But when finished we would like to make a installation process that installed the app and the driver at the same time.
>
> So, two questions:
> 1. Is making this driver complex/expensive?
> 2. Are there any special needs (on the driver) if we later want to incorporate it in a installation process?
>
> /Sebastian
For Q1. You may try a free driver Virtual PDF Printer. Its not complex or expensive to may one by yourself since CUPS has done lots work.
For Q2. The difficult part is to execute a app after each print. the driver is running as lp and it cannot access your Mac OSX Window Server, so your app cannot popup.
One solution for you:
1. Write a launch agent
2. You driver tell the agent after print job is done
3. launch agent execute your app on receiving the command from the driver
Of cuase, you need to put driver, launch agent and the app into your PackageMaker installer.