cups-1.2.11 on slackware-12.0

gilcio amaral gilcio.amaral at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 16:41:21 PST 2008

My old HP720C worked well on cups-1.1.23 (slack 11) and all cups previous versions with pnm2ppa and a ppd from linuxprinting.org
On slack 12 - cups 1.2.11 - I could not print text neither use lpr command. Printing could be done for ps or pdf documents and with kprinter. On OpenOffice I had to configure printer settings device as postscript level 1 ( not from driver).
To print a simple text, that was easily done in command line with lpr, it was now needed to convert to ps or pdf and then print using kpdf and kprinter.
Printer programs used in slack 12 are: cups-1.2.11, hplip-1.7.41, espgs-8.15.4, gimp-print-4.2.7