[cups.development] [RFE] STR #2714: Delayed printing

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Feb 21 09:44:24 PST 2008

Hello,

On Feb 20 07:34 Dan wrote (shortened):
> I just thought about the possibility of delayed printing - I often travel
> with my laptop, and when I find anything interesting which I want to print
> out, I must save it to file, and remember to print it back in an office,
> hotel or my home.

A manual workaround which works in any case regardless
how the printer is connected:

Use cupsdisable to disable printing while the printer is
not accessible (jobs can still be sent to the queue)
and use cupsenable when the printer is accessible
(queued jobs start to print out).

> I know that it is not trivial - CUPS must know (e.g. through
> DBus + HAL?) if local printer is connected

If you like to have disable/enable automated for USB printers,
have a look at
http://code.google.com/p/cups-autoconfig/

By default it disables/enables print queues when udev/HAL
events appear that a USB printer is disconnected/connected.
Its /etc/cups-autoconfig.conf contains by default:
[CUPS]
ConfigureNewPrinters=yes
DisablePrintersOnRemoval=yes
DefaultCUPSPolicy=relaxed
Debug=yes
It is triggered via
/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-cups-autoconfig.fdi
which runs /usr/lib/cups-autoconfig/cups-autoconfig
which does the actual stuff, see
/usr/lib/cups-autoconfig/cups-autoconfig --help
(you must run even '--help' as root, otherwise you get errors)
Debugging output is in /var/log/cups-autoconfig.log

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex