[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #2719: Also search MIME files in DataDir/mime

martin.pitt.canonical martin.pitt at canonical.com
Tue Feb 26 03:36:50 PST 2008

This was already STR #2374, but you closed it without giving me a chance to
respond, and this bug tracker does not allow me to reopen bugs.

Right now, cups searches *.types and *.convs in ServerRoot only (i. e.
/etc/cups/filter). This creates a gripe for distributions since they have
to treat those files as configuration files, although they are not really
supposed to be changed.

This patch adds support for colon separated search paths and adds
DataDir/mime as a default search path. ServerRoot/filter is kept, of
course.

In STR #2374, pipitas replied that he wants to treat MIME files as config
files. He is right, and I never said that this should not be possible any
more. I was just saying that MIME files should *also* be searched in
DataDir, so that distros can ship the default ones in DataDir and update
them, but that the files in /etc would override them. I. e. the patch just
adds a feature that you can specify muliple paths separated by a colon,
like in $PATH.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2719
Version:  -feature