[cups.development] HP and CUPS

D. Hageman dhageman at dracken.com
Fri Feb 29 09:22:27 PST 2008

I have setup a print server using cups 1.3.6.  I have both linux, mac
and windows machines printing to this server.  One of the more prominent
printers we use is a HP LaserJet 4700dn.  We have found on the Windows
machines that upon installation of the HP 4700 driver pointing directly
to a CUPS printer that the print spooler on the Windows machine will
crash.  We believe the fault lies in the HP driver.  So, why am I
writing this list?  We have found that wrapping the printer in a class
fixes the issue.  The installation of the print driver goes smoothly and
works as expected.

My question is how does a CUPS class interaction with the driver differ
from a CUPS printer iteration with the driver?  I have read the docs and
read quite a bit of the code, but it doesn't seem obvious to me.

Has anyone else seen this issue and found a fix other then HP fixing
things?