CUPS needs manual restart on computer reboot

Seth seth at mech.ubc.ca
Tue Jan 15 20:45:20 PST 2008

Hello CUPS forums,
I have a problem with cups on my ubuntu machine that seems quite persistent.  When ever I restart my machine cups is off-line/busy until I manually restart it using "/etc/init.d/cupsys restart".  This would normally be fine (sort of), except that my computer hosts the network printer, and therefore if I'm not around to restart cups nobody gets to print!

I have posted the log file and some screen shots of my issues in the ubuntu forums, but haven't gotten any replies there yet.  The post can be found at

<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=668534>

Any help would be great!

Also, a question that will likely show just what a linux greeny I am: what is the difference between ".../cupsys restart" and ".../cupsys reload"?

Thanks,
Seth