Fonts for texttopdf

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Wed Jul 2 16:01:09 PDT 2008

Tobias Hoffmann <lprint-list at the-axe-effect.de> writes:

> - Which is a good font (on which platform) for embedding
>   for the purpose of pdf printing workflow, and

On the TTF (sfnt/glyf) front:

DejaVu Sans Mono has significant glyph coverage.  (dejavu.sf.net)

Longer term, Liberation Mono will probably be the better choice for
licensing reasons.  (http://www.redhat.com/promo/fonts/)

Guseul.tff from http://packages.debian.org/unstable/x11/ttf-alee
works extremely well on screen for Hangul glyphs, it will probably match
up well with DejaVu or Liberation in print.

Longer term, Arne Götje (高盛華) is working on a pan-CJK TTC font which
I expect will be ideal for this.

I'm not sure about the rest of the scripts.

I'd take a look at cairo (cairographics.org) for code.  License should
be OK (LGPL || MPL), code is clean C, and I beleive it supports all
embedding necessary.

You might even want to use libcairo directly; it shouldn't be an onerous
dependency and produces quality pdf.

I beleive cairo has support for embedding cff fonts as either cff
(bumping up the minimum pdf-version the file can be) or as type1
(degrading the quality of the hints, but maintaining the outlines)
And it covers subsetting, etc, too.

-JimC