HP IP support for CUPS driver

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Jul 14 22:07:35 PDT 2008

keens312 wrote:
> Is this possible to implement the same function in CUPS model?

No, as I said before HP's IP printing dialog is provided by HP and
for HP printer drivers only.  Any other use is guaranteed not to be
reliable and probably will not work.

> If we don't use HP's IP printing dialog, how can I utilize HP IP Printing function?

Again, all that HP's IP printing dialog does is provide printer
discovery for legacy HP network printers that do not support Bonjour/
Zeroconf/DNS-SD discovery.  The dialog and "hpip" backend are not a
standard part of Mac OS X and are HP's software.  You cannot use them
for your own drivers.

New IP-based printers targeted for the Mac environment (or CUPS in
general) should support Bonjour for discovery and use standard IP
protocols (IPP, LPD, or AppSocket) for printing.