[cups.development] [RFE] STR #2841: Informing print manager when a print starts

Kamil Neczaj kneczaj at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 21:01:27 PDT 2008

Every desktop environment has different print manager. When you print from
openoffice or a gnome application in kde, the kde's print manager doesn't
start. I'm sure the same is in gnome with kde's applications. It's because
inadeqete model of task adding procedure. Now, the application you print
from run a print manager. Such a situation cause that gnome's applications
try to run gnome's print manager whereas kde's try run kde's print manager.
The kde user hasn't gnome's print manager so nothing is run.

In my opinion task adding should be done like that:
1. Application sends printing task to cups.
2. Cups adds the task to it's task list.
3. Cups activates the default print manager.

The default print manager may be set by an environment variable so that it
can be easily changed even if the user switches between different sessions
that use different desktop environments.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2841
Version:  -feature