[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #2846: cups changes default page size at installation

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Jun 3 07:32:04 PDT 2008

[STR Closed w/o Resolution]

This is working as designed.

All we can do is our best to detect the correct default size.  If you
don't set the locale correctly and don't use libpaper, you'll likely get
the wrong default size.

Time zones don't help since South America uses A4 while North America uses
Letter. If the locale is set wrong, then the timezone info will fail for
South American users.

AFAIK, there is no function call we can make to detect the keyboard layout
- we'd have to look for config files in multiple places, and even then we
have the same problem as with time zones - only a correct locale  or
libpaper allows us to automatically detect the proper local default.

So, we will not be changing CUPS to not set the default size - we spent a
lot of years (until CUPS 1.2 came out) dealing with thousands of users
reporting that we were using the "wrong" default size.  Since CUPS 1.2 we
have had almost no reports (and the reports we did get were for printers
that did not support letter or A4, which was fixed...)

If you want, file a feature request for a DefaultPaperSize directive in
cupsd.conf that overrides the locale and libpaper checks.  You can then
easily set the default paper size in your installer...

Fix Version: Will Not Fix