[cups.development] [RFE] STR #2732: Status of remote IPP jobs cannot be discovered

jsmeix.suse jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Mar 4 03:44:24 PST 2008

If I understand it correctly it means that a
running backend is needed to get the state
of a remote IPP job?

Does this also mean that the backend must
keep on running until the remote job is finally
processed (to notice errors while processing)?

How should this work if there are many other jobs
in the remote queue?

Additionally the backend should exit by default
as soon as possible to allow maximum throughput.

I think it is not teh backend but only the cupsd
which should maintain a database of sent IPP jobs
so that "lpstat -W completed" can show job info.

Currently "lpstat -W completed" shows only the info
regarding the local system.

What is actually missing is something like a "traceroute"
functionality (i.e. a "tracejob" functionality) which
queries the remote system about the remote job info.

Therefore cupsd must also keep the remote job IDs and
the remote host so that it can generate a matching
query for the remote host.

By default no "tracejob" should be done because it could
take arbitrary time (think about several subsequent
remote cupsds which forward the job until it reaches
its final destination) and arbitraty stuff like network
timeout could delay the response.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2732
Version:  -feature