[cups.development] [RFE] STR #2752: Enable lppassword for programmatic usage.

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Mar 14 03:17:17 PDT 2008

Hello,

On Mar 13 08:40 Michael Sweet wrote (shortened):
> ... SuSE ran CUPS with the "RunAsUser" option (no longer supported
> in current CUPS releases) and used lpppasswd.

See our manuals or
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printer_Configuration_from_SUSE_LINUX_9.0_on
and
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
"Configuring CUPS in the Network": "Details"
Up to SUSE LINUX 10.1 we provided CUPS 1.1 and since openSUSE 10.2
we provide CUPS 1.2 which is not fully backward compatible with
CUPS 1.1. Therefore in case of an update it is recommended
not to use an outdated cupsd.conf from a CUPS 1.1 installation before
but to start from scratch with the original cupsd.conf from
our CUPS 1.2 RPM.

For example RunAsUser is no longer supported so that since
openSUSE 10.2 / CUPS 1.2 the cupsd runs as root and therefore
we are back to its default "basic authentication" via system users
and system passwords (in /etc/shadow). Therefore the Support Database
article "Printer Configuration from SUSE LINUX 9.0 on" is partially
outdated since openSUSE 10.2

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex