[cups.development] [RFE] STR #2761: CUPS (and IPP) need performance indicators

Ulrich.Windl.rz.uni-regensburg Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Wed Mar 19 13:40:52 PDT 2008

At the moment there are no performance statistics available in any CUPS
logfile (nor are such performance statistics defined for IPP).

What I have in mind is something like mailer logfiles have:

For every job received: date & time when receiving started, duration of
receive process (maybe compute throughput)

For every attempt to print a job (a page): date and time when attempt
started, duration of attempt (maybe compute throughput), status of attempt
(successful, need to retry later, permanent failure)

The numbers above are just a first guess. I can imaging that some future
CPUS computes a performance ranking of configured printers (receive
throughput (in bytes or pages), output throughput, etc), and maybe prefers
the fastest printer in a class if there's a choice.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2761
Version:  -feature