[cups.development] pstopdffilter creates incomplete PDF?

Christian Aust christian at wilde-welt.de
Sun Mar 23 05:01:35 PDT 2008

Hi all,

I'm about to create a Fax backend using CUPS on Mac OSX 10.5.2. It
worked, until I started to add some PDF compression. Right now, two
isues keep me from get it to work again:

(1) Order of CUPS filters
I've learned that filters can be specified using the PPD keyword
*cupsFilter. However, is it possible to specify more than one filter,
effectively executing both of them in a sequential order? What meaning
has the cost parameter?

(2) Format of pstopdffilter output
When I realized that I had an issue with multiple filters in the PPD,
I tried to add the needed functionality to my backend. There, I'd like
to call /System/Library/Printers/Libraries/quartzfilter to apply a
ColorSync filter to my PDF (it reduces image quality to shrink the PDF
size)

The quartzfilter executable returns an error code 256, complaining
about missing cross-reference tables in the PDF, and in fact
Preview.app isn't able to open such PDF, either. It seems as if the
outcomes of pstopdffilter are somewhat "incomplete". How can I fix that?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Best regards,

Christian Aust

p.s. One such file is available for download at http://raq550.dyndns.org/~christian/tmp-4oag3sipfax.pdf.zip
  (60kb)