[cups.development] pstopdffilter creates incomplete PDF?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sun Mar 23 11:24:50 PDT 2008

Christian Aust wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm about to create a Fax backend using CUPS on Mac OSX 10.5.2. It
> worked, until I started to add some PDF compression. Right now, two
> isues keep me from get it to work again:
>
> (1) Order of CUPS filters
> I've learned that filters can be specified using the PPD keyword
> *cupsFilter. However, is it possible to specify more than one filter,
> effectively executing both of them in a sequential order? What meaning
> has the cost parameter?

You can only execute a single filter; that filter could, of course, be
a wrapper for one or more filters...

The cost parameter is used to limit the number of simultaneous jobs
that are printed.  In a normal configuration it has no effect, but
when the FilterLimit directive is specified in cupsd.conf the cost
of the printer's filter plus the other job filters are used to
determine whether a job should be printed immediately or after another
job completes.

> (2) Format of pstopdffilter output
> When I realized that I had an issue with multiple filters in the PPD, I
> tried to add the needed functionality to my backend. There, I'd like to
> call /System/Library/Printers/Libraries/quartzfilter to apply a
> ColorSync filter to my PDF (it reduces image quality to shrink the PDF
> size)
>
> The quartzfilter executable returns an error code 256, complaining about
> missing cross-reference tables in the PDF, and in fact Preview.app isn't
> able to open such PDF, either. It seems as if the outcomes of
> pstopdffilter are somewhat "incomplete". How can I fix that?

This question is best asked on the Apple "printing" list:

     http://lists.apple.com