admin.cgi calls cups-driverd wrong

Frikkie Thirion frixmail at gmail.com
Thu May 8 05:13:39 PDT 2008

> If I want to add a printer on cups-webinterface, admin.cgi calls the
> following to generate the drivers list:
> /usr/lib/cups/daemon/cups-driverd list 1 0 requested-attributes=all
> ppd-make='HP'
> This doesn't work. cups-webinterface doesn't went on. I cant add a
> printer.
>
> If I type this command in the console I get:
>   Usage: cups-driverd cat ppd-name
>   Usage: cups-driverd list request_id limit options
>
>  I guess that admin.cgi doesn't call cups-driverd correctly.
>
>  This command:
>   /usr/lib/cups/daemon/cups-driverd list 1 0 "requested-attributes=all
>   ppd-make='HP'" shows me a list of ppds.

Good day,
I've managed to resolve the problem as follow:

1) Stop the cups daemon:
   # /etc/init.d/cupsys stop
2) Remove the CUPS drive cache file:
   # rm /var/cache/cups/ppds.dat
3) Rerun the cups-driverd query from the command line to rebuild the
   database:
   #/usr/lib/cups/daemon/cups-driverd list 1 0 "requested-attributes=all
    ppd-make='KONICA'"
4) Restart cups:
   # /etc/init.d/cupsys start

5) Adding the printer from the web interface works now perfectly.

It beats me why the database got toasted...

Regards,
-Frix