[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #2839: lpd backend double free crashes scheduler

John A. Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Fri May 30 03:10:59 PDT 2008

We had the lpd backend crash here as a result of a double free. This
crashed the scheduler. All our other printers use the socket backend, but
the lpd backend is used to drive an old Oce 3145 copier/printer. We've not
managed to reproduce the problem so far, but there is a good stack trace.

Incidentally, with LogLevel 'info', there is a lot of crud in the
error_log file. Firstly, I think that "I [date time] cupsdCloseClient: SSL
shutdown successful!" should really be at log level debug rather than at
level info. Secondly, as you can see, we are getting a lot of "E [date
time] Bad request line "rubbish" from clientIP" messages. They appear to
do no harm other than cluttering the log.

John A. Murdie