[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #3002: lpd username at host configurable once, but thereafter not shown in config

Brad Edmondson brad.edmondson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 07:45:41 PST 2008

the lpd backend supports specifying a username at hostname such that the
queues may look like this:
lpd://username@hostname/queuename
instead of this:
lpd://hostname/queuename

The trouble is, while cups sets this correctly in printers.conf, it
doesn't read it back correctly when you edit a previously configured
printer, and instead shows only the hostname/queuename portion of the uri.

This turns out to be relevant in my academic environment, where we offer
pay-to-print with Pharos, a proprietary system that runs on top of lpd.
We allow printing from anywhere on our network, including personal
machines, so the user account name (which cups sends by default) almost
never matches the username the Pharos system checks for validity.  We
therefore must use either the buggy Pharos packages to set the username
for every printjob (and consume resources since it's running in the
background all the time) or use this system-wide set-and-forget hack.  I
have successfully set this up for cups versions 1.3.2 to 1.3.9 on
debian/ubuntu and OS X 10.4/10.5, but each time the username@ field is
dropped from the uri, even though it is set correctly in printers.conf.