[cups.development] CUPS Command File Sample

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Nov 13 09:29:19 PST 2008

keens312 wrote:
> Hi mike,
>
> I have studied how the command file works.
> Please check if my understanding below is correct or not.
>
> We can only use command file in print dialog or utility, because we
 > can send the command in that event.
> But when user click the Supply Levels button or tab, there is no such
 > event to send the command. Only Mac OSX can detect this action. So
 > USB printer can NOT display supply levels like network printer SNMP
 > ways...

On Mac OS X 10.4.x and higher, the APLowInkTool keyword in the PPD
file defines a program that is run for both the print dialog and
printer (proxy) window to display supply level information.  This
program can send command jobs to collect the supply level
information.  For 10.5 and higher, the same ATTR: interface will
work for collecting this information.  For older releases of Mac OS
X you'll need to write the data to /Library/Caches - make sure to
use a vendor prefix (e.g. "com.acme" if your company name is "Acme")
along with the queue ID which your filter can get via the PRINTER
environment variable.