[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #3017: cups queue becomes disabled whenprinting to held printer queue

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Mon Nov 24 06:32:41 PST 2008

Michael Young wrote:
> DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE.  INSTEAD, POST ANY RESPONSES TO THE LINK BELOW.
>
> [STR New]
>
> Printing from Solaris 10 client, through CUPS 1.3.8 server on Solaris 10 to
> a Xerox Nuvera 120 EA works as expected when the destination queue on the
> Nuvera is configured to accept/release jobs for print immediately.
>
> When printing to the queue when it is held, the printer appears to be
> returning a printer "paused" status.  The CUPS queue goes into a
> "disabled" state.  The Nuvera accepted a copy of the job, but it also
> remains in the CUPS queue.
>
> Attempts to "enable" result in another copy being transmitted to Nuvera
> and then it goes back to disabled.
>
> The Nuvera is configured to keep all queues "held" for manual release as
> this is a production printing shop.  They select and choose output based
> on their workflows.
>
> Because the CUPS queue keeps going into a "disabled" state, only the first
> job in the CUPS queue gets there - all others remain in CUPS queue.
>
> Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3017
> Version: 1.3.8

This is a well known issue with those Xerox printers, and, it's a pity,
Xerox isn't willing to do anything on this (I've tried it, as we have
the same trouble with various Nuvera/DocuTech printers).

To fix this issue for our own use, I've hacked the IPP backend
(based on CUPS 1.3.5) to honour a special option set in the device uri.

If you are interested, I could give you both the source code or the
compiled binary for *Sparc* Solaris 10.

Let me know.

Helge

--