[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #2962: CUPS daemon does not set TMPDIR environment variable any more when calling filters and backends

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 11:35:34 PDT 2008

At Ubuntu I got two bug reports about problems with CUPS filters/backends
where it turned out that the TMPDIR environment variable was not set when
the filter was called. This made the filters (running as "lp") trying to
write temporary files into / which ended with a "Permission denied".

Here are the links to the bug reports:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/276573
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/268284

On the second link the backend "beh", a Perl script, suffers the missing
TMPDIR setting and here I also described how I have found out that the
setting is missing.

In the error_log it is always shown that the TMPDIR is supposed to be set

D [01/Oct/2008:11:36:05 -0500] [Job 61]
envp[11]="TMPDIR=/var/spool/cups/tmp"

but in reality, it is not set, which opne finds out easily by adding some
debug lines to a filter or backend which is a script.