Epson CX7400 grayscale problem

Michael J. Banks mbanksusc at comcast.net
Mon Oct 6 22:35:13 PDT 2008

Hi.  I have an Epson Stylus CX7400 and am working on getting it fully working with CUPS.
I have tried the Avasys drivers, and they work -- barely -- but have many other annoyances that make them almost unusable (low resolution, printer must be on before computer is booted, etc.).  So I'm trying to get the "normal" CUPS driver working.

And it is, almost.  The color assignments look good (once I changed to CMYK).  But the grayscale (on the test page) that should go smoothly from white to black, goes nicely from white to black, then really fast back to white, then a little more slowly back to black.

I scanned in the test-page printout, for reference, and it is visible at http://home.comcast.net/~mbanksusc/scanimg.png

Other information:
 cups: 1.3.8
 gs: GPL ghostscript 8.62
 gutenprint: 5.0.2

There are a great number of parameters (gamma, etc.) that are tweakable, so I haven't tried yet.  Does anyone know if this is just a mis-set tweakable parameter, or is there a driver bug that is doing this?

(If more information is needed, or one of the developers wants me to compile + run a snapshot version, I'd be happy to oblige.)

Thanks,
Michael