Backend Socket Failed Errors

Lucky Leavell lucky.william.leavell at census.gov
Sat Oct 25 04:54:09 PDT 2008

> OS: RHEL5.2
> Version of CUPS: 1.2.4
> Printer: HP DesignJet 4550ps
>
> We are receiving random error "/usr/lib/cups/backend/ socket failed" errors which stops the queue. Nothing is logged in error_log despite logging level of Debug. We can restart the queue from either the web interface or us cupsenable. The current job also shows as "Stopped" and we can restart the job from the web interface as well.
>
> Questions:
>     1. Any idea as to why this error occurs and what can be done about it
>     2. I have written a simple script to restart stopped queues but it
>        prompts for a password each time even when run as root
>     3. IS there a way to tell from the command line if a job is stopped?
>     4. Is there a way to restart a stopped job from the command line?

After talking to the operators, I think this occurs when they power cycle the plotter to clear an error condition. I am having them keep a log of the plotter name and time they power cycled it to verify this. Is there any way to make CUPS reenable a queue and restart any stopped jobs without manual intervention?

Thank you
Lucky