Network backchannel on OSX 10.4 (CUPS 1.1.23)

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Sep 11 07:27:42 PDT 2008

keens312 wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> For bonjour printer on OSX 10.4, printer cannot receive status message.
>
> It seems CUPS 1.1.23 does not provide backchannel at FD #3.
>
> What should I do for my network printing under OSX 10.4?

Never depend on back-channel data for your driver to work.

Let me say that again: NEVER DEPEND ON BACK-CHANNEL DATA FOR YOUR
DRIVER TO WORK.

Even in 10.5, not all backends support back-channel data, and your
customers WILL use those backends to print.  Support a "graceful"
fall-back mode whenever possible, and/or disable features when you
know you will not be able to do so.