Network backchannel on OSX 10.4 (CUPS 1.1.23)

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Sep 11 18:25:19 PDT 2008

keens312 wrote:
> For network, is there a KEXT sample to use? can we find a GenericNetworkClass?

No and no.  Network backends use the userland socket and (in the case
of pap) AppleTalk APIs.

> Can we improve the backends CUPS provides and release them as a part of driver?

Yes if you change the names, although it is not recommended as users
will associate your drivers with other backends that do not support
your IPC or back-channel support.

Please try to work with the printing system and not against it.