[cups.bugs] Failure to Print Multiple Copiee with Raw Option

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Sep 12 13:19:33 PDT 2008

Don Badrak wrote:
> We are trying to print a PDF file.  The output devices (HP Plotters, 4500ps, 4550ps, 5500ps) support direct PDF printing.  They are faster and more accurate that way.  The quality we get printing this way is much better than if it is translated to postscript and then sent to the printer (not only with CUPS but also on Windows systems that never pass through CUPS).

OK, the way you are using this isn't supported - the printers may
take a PDF directly, but they need PJL commands to allow printing of
multiple PDFs in one connection.

We have to keep a single connection to prevent other jobs from being
interleaved when doing multiple copies (that was a bug in the 1.1.x
versions of the CUPS socket backend...)

I think using LPD instead of socket will allow you to get multiple
copies with those HP printers.  Similarly, IPP will break the copies
into multiple logical jobs for the printer, but HP's IPP support is
not the best...